SF Bay Area Social Good Events
Each action impacts someone. It could be anyone. It could be yourself. These SF Bay Area events provide an opportunity to act.
December 2016 Events
- 12/3 to present – Ghostship Oakland Fire Relief Fund
- 12/15 to present – Crowdfunding campaign for ICHI Sushi chef medical expenses
January 2017 Events
- 1/2 to present – Jon Kwest & Sazon Libre Present Soulove Moombasoul compilation. 100% of proceeds to go ACLU and Planned Parenthood.
- 1/28 to present – Kal Pen turning hate into a fundraiser for Syrian Refugees
March-December 2017 Events
- 3/8 – A Day Without A Woman Protest – General Information
- 3/8 – A Day Without A Woman. San Francisco.
- 3/8 – Teach In. A Day Without A Woman. Education Materials.
- 3/8 – Oakland Women’s Strike
- 3/8 – International Women’s Strike. Berkeley.
- 3/8 – Gender Strike. In Solidarity with Women’s Strike.
- 3/9 – Journalists Respond to Trump. A Litquake event at SF Public Library.
- 3/10 – Native Nations Rise
- 3/13 – Booksmith Resists. Post card party.
- 4/22 – March for Science in San Francisco
- 10/5 – La Casa de las Madres redHot Party
- Impact Hub Oakland. Free co-working on the first Friday of the month.
- Monthly justice-oriented Food First meetings at La Pena.
- T-Shirt Sales Proceeds go to National Immigration Law Center
Organizations Active in the SF Bay Area
Are you interested in finding organizations that impact our world for good? Are you restless and know that you could help out with your time, your hands, your brain, your compassion, or all of the above? Are you just as restless but, alas, don’t have the time because life stuff… but would like to donate? Do you want to know more about who you would be helping?
These SF Bay Area organizations are on the lookout for supporters like us.
Art, Literacy, Writing, and Culture
- 826 Valencia
- City Arts & Lectures
- Contemporary Jewish Museum (CJM)
- La Pena
- Museum of the African Diaspora (MoAD)
- Precita Eyes
- SF Public Library
Community Forum and Discussion
Food: Donation, Pickup, and Delivery
Food Entrepreneur Incubator
Supporting People Living with HIV, Cancer, or other Life Challenges
- Black Girls Code
- SFTech4Good Newsletters
- Without My Consent
- Women Who Code
Truth seekers. Support truth seekers through subscriptions or donations. Or just follow them. Keep up-to-date on what is happening.
Organizations Active Beyond the SF Bay Area
When we started SGF, friends and family started suggesting organizations outside of the SF Bay Area. While we are focused on the SF Bay Area (for now), here are some organizations beyond the SF Bay Area to consider:
- binc (Book Industry Charitable Foundation)
- California Partnership to End Domestic Violence
- Center for American Progress
- Code: Debugging the Gender Gap
- Data Science for Social Good
- Ida B. Wells Society
- Last Mile Health
- March for Science (Multiple Locations on 4/22)
- MAD (Taken from the Danish word for Food)
- NCADV (National Coalition Against Domestic Violence)
- NNEDV (National Network to End Domestic Violence)
- Southern Poverty Law Center
Potential Models for Inspiration: Art, Organizations, Projects, and Past Events
We love that opportunities to find social good are bountiful. We also love that past events, moments, projects, or even organizations that are not looking for volunteers ….are still opportunities for us to use as inspirational social good models. Sometimes, we could be looking at each other at work, at a party, or anywhere…. and think “what could I do? what has been done before? can I really make a difference?”
The answer is “YES!”
Art, Music, Community, and Culture Moments
- Bullfrog Films and Potential Screenings to Use as Fundraisers
- CA Goldberg. Why CA Golderberg?
- eBay for Charity
- Gray Area
- Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory Outreach Summer Program (for 9th and 10th Grade Female Students)
- 11/25/16 – LHSF (Lower Haight San Francisco) 2016 Clothing Drive
- 11/25/16 – Sazon Libre Fundraiser for the National Immigration Law Center
- 11/29/16 – 826 National Fundraiser for Student Stories
- 11/29/16 – Celebrate Civil Eats
- 12/5/16 – Proceeds from Pizza Night at the Mill will go to Oakland Fire Victims & Families
- 12/7/16 – El Rio Benefit for Ghost Ship Fire Victims
- 12/1 through 12/15 – Toy Drive for Children of St. Peter’s. 5 drop offs at local businesses in Mission and Lower Haight.
- 12/9 – Benefit for Ghostship Oakland Fire Victims at Eli Mile High Club
- 12/11 – La Cocina presents El Mercado, a Holiday Market
- 12/11 – Moby. Oakland Fire Benefit.
- 12/14 – Positive Impact Holiday Party – Donations to 826 Valencia
- 12/14 – Oakland United Benefit for Fire Relief
- 12/18 – SF Residents Sunset Social Justice Forum
- 12/19 – IDK Holiday Party and Fundraiser for ICHI Sushi Chef
- 12/19-12/23 – St. George Spirits donating profits to Oakland Fire Relief and Alameda Point Collaborative
- 1/9 – Tribute at the Exploratorium. Donations fund the Kiyomi Tanouye Fund at Mills College.
- 1/19 – The Ghostlight Project. Participation from many SF Theatres.
- 1/20 – Curated list of California Businesses Showing Support for Planned Parenthood
- 1/20 – Zadie Smith, Benefit for the 826 Valencia College Scholarship Fund
- 1/21 – Women’s March on Washington
- 1/21 – Women’s March San Francisco
- 1/25 – Colson Whitehead, Benefit for the 826 Valencia College Scholarship Fund
- 1/31 – Atsuro Riley & Kay Ryan, Benefit for the 826 Valencia College Scholarship Fund
- 2/3 – Women in Data Science Conference
- 2/4 – SF bay area coffee shops raised money for ACLU
- 2/4 – Nationwide list of coffee shops that raised money for ACLU.
- 2/12 – Palmento a Dopo. A Pizza Party with A Cause. Benefit for Centro Legal De La Raza.
- 2/15 – Food First at La Pena
- 2/16 – Almanac Beer Sourfest Benefit for Bay Leaf Kitchen
- 2/16 – #DayWithoutImmigrants Protest
- Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday at Firefly in February. 10% of dinner bill donated to charities including Southern Poverty Law Center.
- 2/21 – Roxane Gay. City Arts & Lectures. Benefit for 826 Valencia.
- Knowledge is power. Google Doc Spreadsheet that tracks senators and governors stances on Muslim Ban
- Open Agriculture
- Town Hall 2018
Interested in creating your own fundraisers, projects, or events for social good and positive impact? Some tools and resources to consider.
Apply for Funding